Sunday, 16 November 2014

SLOG Week 9

There's only about two weeks of classes left and I can't believe I've made it this far. This week has been less hectic for me since I finished all my tests and assignments and I even get some time to relax since we have no class Monday.

This week we learned about Big-Omega and Big-Theta. Big-Omega is roughly the same as Big-Oh except that its definition has the equality sign flipped at the end of the consequent whereas Big-Theta is basically when something is bounded both above and below by the same function. I found this weeks lecture to be easier since we didn't have to count any steps to prove any of the statements which is something I still need to work on. Also I particularly enjoyed proving general statements because the structure of the proof flowed very linearly (didn't require going backwards) and made a lot of sense logically.

On another note, I'm planning to start reading the other sections lecture slides in order to enhance my understanding of the material since they provide some different examples that I could try out and then check whether I'm right or wrong.


I especially liked Albert's blog which showed that there are people who struggle with proofs like me and despite that, can still keep a very positive attitude as demonstrated by his very interesting blogs.
http://99bugsbutaglitchaintone.blogspot.ca/2014/11/week-9-more-on-big-oh.html?showComment=1417660757626#c5659481090157877391

No comments:

Post a Comment